As we prepare for the 2020 Manitoba Marathon, the safety and well being of our participants, volunteers, event staff and spectators is our top priority. We are closely monitoring the developments related to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) including updates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Manitoba Health, and World Health Organization and are committed to keeping all participants informed as we move towards race weekend.
At this point in time, the Manitoba Marathon does not intend to cancel any of our currently scheduled events and is taking guidance from the appropriate health advisory organizations regarding preparedness.
Health Canada currently ranks the health risk associated with COVID-19 in Canada as low. The Manitoba Marathon will be guided by the Government of Canada recommendations for Risk-informed decision-making for mass gatherings during the COVID-19 global outbreak
Best practices and everyday preventive actions from CDC include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; if soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home if you are sick
- Cover your mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing, then throw the tissue in the trash; if a tissue is not available, cough or sneeze into your elbow or shoulder
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects or surfaces
Manitoba Marathon is adjusting normal protocols and procedures to minimize the potential spread of the virus and will share more to registered participants in advance of the event. Because this event takes place outdoors, the open-air venue allows for a level of protection compared to indoor compressed air environments. We are prepared to implement contingency plans for additional protection as necessary.
We have added the option at registration to include RegShield: this is an optional item that will allow participants to receive a refund on their race registration costs for a variety of reasons including personal illness. For more information on RegShield and their coverage please see the registration page. For more information on RegShield and Coronavirus please visit their website via this link https://www.fanshield.com/coronavirus
Manitoba Marathon will continue to monitor to the situation and communicate updates and further information via email, on the Manitoba Marathon website and via our social media channels.